Parks & Recreation Events
Oxford Civic Center:
- Senior Adult Day: In February and September, we provide free entertainment and a sack lunch and drink for all senior citizens. Registration begins at 8:00 a.m. and lunch is served at 11:30 a.m. On average, our attendance is between 300 and 600 seniors.
- Senior Dance: We offer monthly senior dances. During the events, we serve food and have a live band. The admission fee is $5.00 per person.
- Day Trips: We have various senior citizen day and overnight trips. Our “lunch bunch” group meets every month for lunch and shopping at various locations.
- Mardi Gras 5K: During Mardi Gras in March, we put together a 5K run for adults and a Fun Run for children.
- Freedom Festival: Every summer, we have a 4th of July celebration co-sponsored by the Oxford Arts Council. The festival includes parades, antique cars, food vendors, games, and activities for children. Some years, we bring musicians to entertain the large crowds. The spectacular fireworks show takes place at Oxford Lake.
- Halloween Carnival: On October 31st, we offer a safe alternative to trick-or-treating. The carnival includes costume contests, hayrides around Oxford Lake, games, candy, and prizes. Carnival is from 4:30pm to 7:00pm. Free admission and tickets are 4 for $1.00.
- Masters Games of Alabama: The Game's participants came from all walks of life and physical abilities with one common goal - to have fun, exercise, make new friends, and compete in their favorite activities. The Masters Games of Alabama is a non-profit organization dedicated to promoting healthy lifestyles for active adults aged 50 and older through social, mental, and physical activities. While the Games provide an Olympic-type atmosphere, the focus is not on competition, but fun and fellowship.
Friendship Community Center:
- Easter Egg Hunt: Every year, on the Saturday before Easter, we are hosting an Easter egg hunt for children ages 0-12. Make sure to bring your own basket! Activities begin at 8:30am.
- Bluegrass Jam Session: In our kitchen area, we invite the public to a free and fun jam session on Tuesdays from 4:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Bring your favorite instrument!
- Senior Citizen Volleyball: On Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m., all senior citizens are welcome to play volleyball in our gym. The event is free so come out and bring a friend!
Bynum Community Center:
- ARC: Every summer, the Arc conducts two 3-week summer camps for special need children at Bynum Community Center. The Arc of Calhoun and Cleburne Counties is a 501(c)3 non-profit which serves individuals with intellectual /developmental disabilities and their families through support, education, advocacy, and public awareness so that they can reach their chosen goals. To learn more about Arc, go to their website!